As summer storm season approaches, WFEC would like to remind you that your co-op has some useful and convenient tools to help you track the outage restoration progress and offers several easy ways to report power outages impacting you.
WFEC’s online outage map is located on our website at this address: www.westflorida.coop/outages. Links to it can also be found in our mobile app for Apple and Android devices and on the cooperative’s Facebook page. The map displays current outages and is updated regularly during outage events. It displays the number of members impacted by power outages and breaks it down by county while providing an approximation of members affected in certain areas. It also provides an estimated geographic area where the outages are located. This map will also provide information identifying if a crew has been assigned to that particular outage (indicated by a hard hat icon on the map). This tool does allow members to zoom in to view areas more closely but also limits this ability to protect our members’ privacy and ensure their safety. The map will not pinpoint exact outage locations for safety reasons – it will only provide a general location. While the cooperative does its best to ensure the quality of the information included on the map, WFEC can make no guarantee that it is one hundred percent accurate. The outage data is based on estimates and projections and no representation is made that the posted information is comprehensive or error-free. During emergencies or large outage situations (like hurricanes), the data may be limited, delayed, or not completely accurate because circumstances continually change in situations like that.
How to Report Power Outages
WFEC offers a variety of easy and convenient ways to report power outages. The newest and perhaps easiest of all is simply sending a text message. This outage reporting method will provide peace of mind that your outage has been successfully communicated to dispatchers and will eliminate some of the traffic overloading WFEC’s phone lines. Please note that your phone plan’s data charges may apply. It’s easy to get started texting, here’s what you need to know!
1. Using this service for the first time? Text WFEC to (800) 342-7400.
2. You’ll receive a text message with instructions about how to report future outages.
3. When you need to report an outage, simply Text OUT to (800) 342-7400.
4. Text STATUS to receive updates, HELP for more info or STOP to unsubscribe from the service.
5. Once power is restored, you will receive a text confirming power restoration.
Some things to note:
• If your mobile number is not recognized when you text, the service will tell you to contact WFEC by phone.
• If you text OUT to report an outage but don’t respond to the questions asked, the system will tell you the outage was not reported and to call in.
• When you have multiple accounts, you may be asked if both meters are out.
• Members must have a mobile number associated with their account to use this service. Only one mobile number can be listed on each account for outage texting purposes.
WFEC offers additional ways to report outages as well. Members may still call 844-688-2431 (844-OUTAGE1) to report outages over the phone. Members who prefer using our mobile app for Android and Apple devices may also report outages using the app. This allows members to report outages and view the outage map to determine where outages are occurring on the WFEC system 24/7. To utilize the mobile app to report outages, members must have a password to log in, please contact your local district office to set up this feature.
Remember, the best time to make updates to any phone numbers or other account information is before outages occur. To find out more about our outage texting service or how to report power outages, visit www.westflorida.coop.