We support renewable energy resources — including solar energy — that are safe, reliable and affordable for the people we serve.
Some of our members have expressed interest in installing solar panels at their homes or businesses. Before making this investment, contact us. As your trusted energy advisor, we’re here to answer questions.
IS RESIDENTIAL SOLAR A GOOD OPTION FOR ME?
There are many factors to consider when deciding if solar is the right choice for you. Contact us for answers to these and other questions:
- How much electricity does your home use?
- What type and size system should you choose?
- How will adding solar panels affect your monthly electric bill?
- What are the insurance requirements?
- What safety concerns should I consider?
IS SOLAR A RELIABLE BACKUP POWER SYSTEM?
Most residentially sized solar systems won’t provide all the power you need, during an outage, or on cloudy days and at night when the sun isn’t shining. You will still need electricity from WFEC’s power grid, even if you choose a system that includes a battery backup. For reliable and uninterrupted power, solar energy must be balanced with a continuous source of dependable power from West Florida Electric.
HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH SOLAR?
- Do your research and contact us for guidance throughout the process.
- Make energy-efficiency improvements to maximize your energy dollars – with and without a solar generating system.
- Research solar contractors and be aware of all local, state and federal regulations.
- Work closely with us for advice and assistance on interconnecting with the grid.
HOW MUCH ELECTRICITY COULD I GENERATE WITH A HOME SOLAR SYSTEM?
This depends on the size and site of your system. Consider your roof’s orientation, whether it is positioned in a shade-free area and how much sunlight the panels can collect.
HOW MUCH DOES A HOME SOLAR ENERGY SYSTEM COST?
Your solar purchase and installation costs will depend on the size and complexity of the system, as well as your home’s layout and construction. Additional costs may include liability and homeowner’s insurance, property taxes and applicable interconnection fees.
ARE THERE INCENTIVES AND TAX CREDITS FOR INSTALLING HOME SOLAR ENERGY SYSTEMS?
Visit the DSIRE website. Also, check with local government agencies for income tax credits, property tax exemptions and rebate programs.
CAN WFEC HELP ME INSTALL SOLAR PANELS?
We do not sell, install nor do we service solar panels. If you purchase solar panels, they are your responsibility to install and maintain. However, feel free to contact us with your solar energy questions.