Many of WFEC’s members have purchased generators for standby power which are very useful and convenient during extended outages.
However, if these generators are used improperly, it can be a hazard to you, your home and those working to restore your power. Electrocution, fire and carbon monoxide poisoning are all potential hazards associated with the use of a generator. Back feeding is also another very dangerous condition caused when a portable generator is not connected properly.
Back feed is a dangerous electric current that can electrocute or critically injure you or others. During an outage back feed into power lines could create an energized power line. Linemen who expect this line to be de-energized could be severely injured.
The good news is that there's a tool to help prevent back feed and safely connect a portable generator to our members’ homes. This tool, the GenerLink™ Transfer Switch, will provide a safe, convenient, reliable and affordable alternative for cooperative members to properly connect their portable generators.
The GenerLink™ device:
• Eliminates the use of extension cords and other connections that can be hazardous to members and utilty personnel.
• Detects when a generator is operating and automatically disconnects from the utility grid, eliminating dangerous back feed.
• Is equipped with GenerLok™, a unique interlocking power cord system that provides a quick and easy connection of a portable generator.
• Is installed in just 20 minutes or less by our utility personnel and does not require the member to be present during installation.
• Is easily installed behind a member’s electric meter and requires no rewiring of their electrical system.
• Allows members to have the flexibility to run virtually any appliance, up to the capacity of their generator by simply energizing appliances from their breaker panel.
Financing is available for members with approved credit who own their own home. Contact your local district office for details regarding financing the device.
If you’re interested in learning more about the GenerLink™Transfer Switch, visit our website or www.generlink.com.
After learning more, if you’re interested in purchasing the GenerLink™ device, contact Global Power Products (GPP) directly to determine the model unit and cord configuration needed. You can reach them by calling 800-886-3837. GPP will then ship the equipment directly to the member. Once the equipment has arrived, members will contact WFEC to make arrangements for device installation.